Sunday, September 30, 2012

I Finished a Reading Challenge!

Reading is one of my most favorite things in the world.  I could read all day, every day, and be happy.  Well, maybe I'd feel like a bit of a slacker, but I DO love reading.  Anyway, my online book club is a great place to get book reviews and talk about other book related things.  I love reading and I love competition so when I found out about the seasonal reading challenges, I was hooked. 

We have 4 seasonal challenges each year.  I took part in the Summer Book Challenge and had 3 months to read 35 books in categories the group came up with.  Well, I'm proud to say that I finished a challenge!  I'm so proud of myself for finishing one of these things.  I basically had to read an average of 3 books a week to be able to finish.  Maybe not having a job right now helped haha.  Here's my list:  (I bolded my favorites)

5 points
read a book while soaking up the sun--Better Read Than Dead
read a book under 200 pages--Animal Farm
read a book with a red, white, or blue cover--The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
read a book from the 1001 book you must read list--Crime and Punishment
read a book based on its cover--Hourglass
read a book set outside the US--Jellicoe Road
read a book you got for free--Love is the Higher Law
read a book none of your GR friends has read--Sleepwalk With Me
read a book with a male main character--Boy Meets Boy
freebie (whatever you want)--Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything!

10 Points
read a banned or challenged book--Farenheit 451
read a book with a child main character--The Age of Miracles
read a book you find on display at the library or bookstore--Ready Player One
read a book by one of your favorite authors--The Realm of Possibility
read a book with less than 100 GR ratings--The Double-Cross System: The Incredible True Story of How Nazi Spies Were Turned into Double Agents
read a book with a picture of the outdoors on the cover--Second Chance Summer
read a book suggested by whatshouldireadnext.com--Half Broke Horses
read a book set prior to 1900--Anna Karenina
read a cookbook and post the best sounding recipe --The Silver Spoon Pasta
read a biography (not a memoir)--Shakespeare

15 Points
read a book set in a city that's hosted the summer Olympics--Shadow of Night
read a book with a two word title--Gone Girl
read a book by Stephen King or Nora Roberts--Different Seasons
read a book written by an author younger than 25 or older than 75--My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business (Dick Van Dyk)
read and discuss the July, August, or September NBC book--Between Shades of Grey
read a book about a social issue or politics--Unbearable Lightness
use random.org to pick a book off your tbr list--Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea
read a book out of your normal genre(s)--Deadline
read a travelogue--A Walk in the Woods
read a book set in the state that was admitted to the union just prior to your state (Delaware gets Hawaii)--The Perks of Being a Wallflower

25 Points
Read a book with a Christmas word in the title--The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror
Find a movie based on a book and watch the movie before reading the book--High Fidelity
Read a book set in a school--The Art of Fielding
Read a book that intimidates you for whatever reason--Bel Canto
Read a new to you book that is not part of a series and write a prequel or sequel summary--Ella Minnow Pea

Total: 425!


Now onto the shorter (and hopefully easier) Fall Book Challenge!  Here's the list if anyone is interested! Although....no one reads this so I don't know why I am posting this...

5 Points
Read a book that is part of a series
Reread a book
Read a book about FALLing in love
Read a Goosebumps, Christopher Pike, or R.L. Stine book for Halloween
Read a free book (free kindle book, library book, borrowed from a friend, etc)

10 Points
Read a book with the name of an NFL or MLB team in the title
Read a book with food in the title or on the cover
Read a book with a title that begins with the first letter of your first name
Read a book that you added to your TBR list in 2012 but didn't get to read
Read a book with the word "light", "fire", or "candle" in the title.

15 Points
Randomly open a dictionary, and read a book with any word on the dictionary page in the title.
Read a book written during NaNoWriMo
Read a book on a friend's TBR, but not on yours
Read and discuss the October, November, or December NBC book
Read a fiction or non-fiction book about a political figure

25 Points
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Read a book with a pink cover.
Read a book that was published in the same month & year as one of your major life events (wedding, birth of a child, graduation, first job, etc.).
Read the book that has been on your TBR list the longest
Read a book that you heard about through one of your favorite authors or book reviewers (blogs count)
Read a book published the year you were born.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats! The long challenges always seem so daunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ARE! If I wasn't on my "sabbatical" I never would have been able to finish.

      Delete
  2. Nice job! I haven't done an NBC challenge in a while, but I am never able to finish an entire one. They are LONG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I feel really accomplished haha It's like 3 books a week!

      Delete